Born into a region shaped by history, commerce and higher education, the Johnson City Press has matured from rotary presses and paper to electronic platforms in cyberspace during decades of news and editorial leadership.
Known as the Press-Chronicle following mergers and acquisitions in 1934, the newspaper’s lineage can be traced to 1918 — nearly 100 years of service to the community and region.
Under ownership of the Carl A. Jones family, the paper championed the establishment of a medical school at East Tennessee State University and lent support andguidance throughout the growth years of a modern, progressive Upper East Tennessee region.
Becoming part of the Sandusky Newspaper Group in 2001, new owners pledged to build on the proud history of the Press and lead it into the 21st Century.
Color printing was enhanced for both news and advertising, a new emphasis was put on local news coverage and investments made in modern equipment.
Today the Johnson City Press, now shaped as a complete information company with nearly 100 employees, continues to cover news and deliver advertising in Johnson City and Washington, Carter and Unicoi counties. On any given day over 94,000 residents will read the printed edition of the Press and another 16,000 will check into johnsoncitypress.com or into the full version of the paper at ejcp.com.
Honored repeatedly by Tennessee Press Association peers for both news and advertising excellence, the Press is published seven mornings a week and offers electronic news coverage 24 hours daily, 365 days a year from its main location on West Main Street in Johnson City.
Johnson City Press
204 W. Main Street, Johnson City, TN 37604